This post is part of our series, 31 Days to a More Reader Friendly Blog
One of the best ways to turn any old blog into a more reader friendly blog? Have eye-catching social media icons! You know the ones?
We pick customized icons (that we either make, or we ask an awesome designer to make) that stand out and that are easy to remember. But most importantly? The icons are easy to find and make it easy to follow us. The result? A more reader friendly blog!
If a reader wants to read your next post but can’t find where to sign up, or where to find you on social media, they may give up or get distracted. Make it easy, fun, and purposeful to follow you!!
Options for creating social media icons:
1. Hire a designer! They can customize these to your site. You won’t be sorry. This is the easiest option. But, it also costs the most money.
2. Find online! You can google: “free Social Media icons” and find lots of free images. You do however need to know how to install them and make them work for each of your social media avenues. (If you find them and need help installing them, we can help you “a la carte”).
3. Use a social media icons plugin (self-hosted WordPress only). These are not “custom” to your site, and anybody can get them. But they at least get some social media icons on your site!
4. DIY! That’s right. Make them yourself!! That is what we have done with our Intentional Homeschool caterpillar. Isn’t he cute? Be adventurous, take the time, and make them yourself! Remember, DIY people, you will also need to install them on your site.
So just a few quick steps and there you have it. You will be able to capture more readers (and social media followers!) and it makes your blog look prettier!
Tips for placement of your social media icons
1. Place them above the fold so people can immediately see where to find you.
2. Place them in your footer so people can access them even if they have scrolled down your site.
Whatever you do, make them easy to find and use!
Do you have social media icons? Were they DIY, from a designer or hunted down online?
See all of our 31 Days to a More Reader Friendly Blog here.