I struggled with my transition to Real Food. Primarily because it wasn’t really a transition at all. I did not “move from one style of eating to another.” I immediately stopped with the standard American diet and started on Nourishing Traditions.
If I couldn’t find an explanation or justification in Sally Fallon’s book, I didn’t eat it. My husband was getting adjitated and I was getting burnt out.
Nourishing Traditions is packed with so much information that I feel it is truly a must-read for those in the real food, traditional food, biblical diet, world. I do not feel as though you can truly embark upon the Real Food journey without at least knowing about the book (or what the Weston A. Price Foundation is, for that matter).
That being said, I do not believe that Nourishing Traditions should be the first book you read. I believe this book should be saved for those that have already laid the foundation for their real food adventure. You should have a spoon fed easy approach laid out for you first.
Focus on the simple changes that need to be done with some favorite tried and true recipes. That is all. Start reading a simple, easy to follow book. Make a few easy to follow changes. Cook some simple, easy to follow recipes. Everyone is happy. Now, to find “that” book…
This book has filled the gap between completely changing your style of eating and keeping your sanity. Embarking on something new and holding on to your comfort in the kitchen. Keeping your family happy while knowing they are getting healthier on the inside.
These are such important things to us, as parents. We are busy and can barely get something hot on the table at 5pm, much less have it be healthy, nourishing, balanced AND tasty!
I am so thrilled to give you a solution to this potentially unknown problem.
In the Kitchen – Real Food Basics gives you a brief overview of some healthy changes that should be made. Who is this book for?
- Anyone that thinks you are crazy for being into real food. You have a hard time explaining it to them? Let Kate do it for you.
- Anyone interested in learning about real food.
- Anyone already knee deep in real food and feeling overwhelmed and not sure where they should put their focus and energy.
- Anyone already considered a Traditional Foodie that could use a well laid out refresher on Real Food basics.
- An overview of fats, sugars, grains, and dairy. How they should be implemented and why the amounts and types should be different from what the mainstream media and cookbooks (and nutritionists) are telling you.
- Tutorials on the fundamentals. She teaches you how to make some of the key ingredients that you build upon to make a tasty real food meal. Many real food recipes assume you already know this, if you don’t, Kate will show you how in this section.
- An overview of sweeteners and which ones to use and avoid.
- A list of must have and should have kitchen tools.
- A list (in order of importance) of baby steps to get your kitchen and real food lifestyle on track.
- A shopping guide for where to and how to get your pantry and produce items.
- All of this, plus over 20 recipes to try out on your family!
As someone who is not brand new to real foods, I find this a great resource for myself, as a refresher, and for others. I plan on buying this book and giving it to those asking me what the heck I am doing!
Kate is generously offering my readers 25% off her book during this review/giveaway time! Wait a second…this isn’t the only review/giveaway! I will be reviewing each of her remaining 3 books over the next 3 weeks. So for a total of 4 weeks, you can buy any one (or all) of the 4 books for 25% off! Click here and enter code: REALFOOD25 to get 25% off.
- Against the Grain (enter above code for 25% off now through December 1)
- Healthy Pregnancy Superfoods (enter above code for 25% off now through December 1)
- Treat Yourself: Real Food Desserts (enter above code for 25% off now through December 1)
- 3 books, bundled together for a savings (Real Food Basics, Against the Grain, Healthy Pregnancy Superfoods) at one great low price (plus 25% off using the discount code above!)
I will be reviewing one of these each week, so be ready to be dazzled! If you can’t wait, buy the books at the discounted rate, read up, be ready for the Holidays so you can share all of your new found wisdom with your relatives! Also, you can then come back here each week and tell me how awesome the books are in the comment section so everyone else will want them too!
Kate’s Chili from In the Kitchen – Real Food Basics:Ingredients:
- 1/2 lb. kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. molasses
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 2 tsp. sea salt
- 6 c. tomato juice, OR 3 c. puree and 3 c. filtered water
Directions: The night before you want to make chili, pour the beans into a glass bowl and cover with water by at least 1”. They need to soak at least 6 hours. In the morning, cook beef and onion in a frying pan with olive oil over medium heat until beef is no longer pink and onions are soft. Put meat mixture into a slow cooker. Drain the beans and add them. Add all spices, vinegar, and tomato juice. Cook on low 6 – 8 hours, or high 3 – 4 hours. Serves 3 – 4.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 3 – 8 hours
Serving Suggestion: Top with onions and raw cheddar cheese and serve with sprouted cornbread!
Ok, so you want to win this book? You know the drill…there are a few ways to win. However, things have changed! You do not leave a comment for me here about what you have done, now you enter through Rafflecopter! It is a fun exciting tool to make sure the giveaway is random and streamlined (helps me out so I don’t have a gazillion comments to go through!)
- Subscribe to Christian Mommy Blogger
- Click here and tell me what recipe you would want to try first (can’t be the Chili!)
- Like Christian Mommy Blogger on Facebook
- Like Modern Alternative Mama on Facebook
- Visit Modern Alternative Mama just to see all the great stuff on her site, tell me you did. Even check out a post I wrote there!
- Follow me on Twitter (because I love me some twitter)
- Retweet this post (up to once a day!)
- Share this post on FB
- Blog about it! (email me the link)
Enter the Rafflecopter giveaway for Real Food Basics here:
As I mentioned above, buy the book now for 25% off using code REALFOOD25 so you can get started on an exciting (or simplified) real food journey today! Offer expires 12/1/11!