The Healthiest Fast Food You Can Make: Cauliflower, Pesto and Olive Pizza
Who doesn’t love pizza? But really, who doesn’t? Well, even if you’re not a big fan of pizza, there are times when you try one so delicious that you can’t believe you were missing out before.
I love ordering pizza when I’m with friends, or hanging out at home on a weekend. Recently, I thought about ordering one on a weeknight, and then decided I’d be better off trying to make my own. Why not?
Why cauliflower pizza? It’s a very healthy yet very filling vegetable, and it replaces your usual dough very well. The pesto and olives where my own choice, but give them a try as I’m sure you’ll love the taste.
This pizza is absolutely delicious, but it doesn’t have any meat. I often accompany it with a side of meatballs, but it is a perfect choice if you’re vegetarian or trying to be healthier. The beauty in this recipe is that you’re saving calories and fat, and you won’t even notice the difference in crust.
Aside from cauliflower and olives, all you need is cheese, preferably Mozzarella, but you can try a Ricotta as well, and some Italian spices–or the ones you prefer. Ready to make your own pizza? Don’t worry, it’s easier than it looks, it just takes some time.
Cauliflower Pizza With Pesto and Olives
Servings: 8 / Prep Time: 15 minutes/ Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- 1 Big Head Cauliflower
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup Pitted and Halved Black Olives
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Mozzarella
- 1/2 Cup Shredded Pecorino
- 2 tbsp Pesto
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 1 Cup Pizza Sauce
- Handful of Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Step-by-step Instructions for Cauliflower Dough
- Wash your cauliflower head thoroughly. Remove the green stems, and cut the head into smaller parts.
- In a food processor or blender, grind your cauliflower until it reaches a rice-like consistency.
- Place the cauliflower in a microwavable bowl. Microwave for around 4-5 minutes. Pick it up from the bowl with a kitchen towel and squeeze hard to remove all moisture.
- When it has cooled down, add the egg, cheeses (leave a bit for later), oregano, pesto and red pepper flakes. Mix it all together.
- Shape the dough into the pizza you want. To do this, use parchment paper or a big paper towel. Make sure to leave a nice crust area and enough space for the toppings.
Step-by-step Instructions for the Pizza
- Pre-heat your oven to 400F.
- Take your pizza-shaped dough and place it on a baking dish.
- Put in your oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until crispy.
- Take out and add the remaining cheese and olives. You can also add more pesto if you want.
- Bake for another 10 minutes until cheese has melted.
Healthy Pizza for Dinner!
If you want something greasy, cheesy and heavy, this may not be for you. Try this pizza instead if you’re looking for a healthier way of indulging.
For this recipe, I use a mix of Pecorino and Mozzarella, but you can slice and shred your own choice of cheese, or buy an Italian blend.
Also, the olives may be too strong for some, so you may want to replace them with something like artichokes or green peppers. The beauty of this pizza is that you can save calories and use whatever you have in your pantry and refrigerator.
Did you like this idea? Have you tried it before? Let me know what you think of this alternative choice and if you’d make it yourself. Feel free to add or change any ingredient and enjoy!
Author Bio: Chidinma is the founder of Fruitful Kitchen, a blog that shares delicious recipes and lifestyle tips. Most of her recipes help women with fertility issues, especially fibroids, PCOS, and Endometriosis. Sometimes, however, you will find other interesting recipes, as well as cooking tips and tricks there.